We had a great party at Pump It Up, and he has been telling anyone and everyone he sees (no matter if they care or not) that he is 5 and just had a birthday!
Last year, I made a very simple, almost no-cook, impromptu sweet potato dish when friends came over, and the dish has been a favorite of ours ever since.
That night, the dish was really an afterthought and experiment. I don’t remember what else we had for dinner, but I remember seeing some sweet potatoes on the counter and just playing with them. The funny thing is that our guests at first didn’t react too excited when I described the smashed sweet potatoes, but it ended up being the favorite dish of the night!
Smashed Sweet Potatoes
- 5 – 6 sweet potatoes
- Earth Balance spread, about 1 – 2 tablespoons
- Cheddar cheese (or any cheese you like), about 2 tablespoons (more if you feel particularly “cheesy”)
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- Wash the sweet potatoes and poke them with a fork several times.
- Put the potatoes in the microwave and cook them until they are soft. (Three medium sized potatoes cook in the microwave in about 6 minutes.)
- Once the potatoes are cooled a bit, peel the skin and cut the potatoes into small pieces.
- Smash the warm potatoes with a potato smasher.
- Add the Earth Balance spread and the cheese and season with salt and pepper.
Questions: What’s a favorite simple, almost-no-cook meal of yours? What’s your favorite way to eat sweet potatoes?