Life isn’t always smooth sailing and neither is weight maintenance, at least for me. Sure, over the years I have figured out strategies that have helped me to get back on track when things are a bit “off,” but I still need to be very diligent on a consistent basis and there are slight ups and downs.
I am tall, so a 5 - 10 pound gain - that’s where I have worked hard at to keep my “gains” for years - may not cause alarm right away. I can still squeeze in my clothes - although they are definitely not as comfortable or flattering!
So while that “little” gain may not seem a big deal, it can be. Because those 5 or 10 pounds can easily become 15 or 20 or more. And losing that much weight becomes a whole different story.
While it’s important to reign in those “little gains” right away and turn them around, I also think it’s important to understand that they are normal and will happen once in a while. I used to beat myself up whenever my weight crept up a bit. I thought I was failing. But I wasn’t. What’s important is having an arsenal of strategies that gets you back on track right away. So here are my weight loss strategies that I use when weight starts to creep up a bit. Several of them I learned while doing the Conscious Cleanse for the first time almost two years ago. They have definitely made maintenance easier even though I had maintained my weight for years before then.
Here is what I do:
- Start each day with warm lemon water while journaling (being extra mindful is so important when trying to lose weight)
- Shopping, prep, and pre-cooking on the weekends so that there is always something healthy to eat - I do this year-round, but when I try to lose a few pounds, I am even more diligent.
- Make time for exercise - walks, yoga, weights - the benefits are far beyond physical - when I work out I eat better. Also, just a small drop in workout time can have an impact on how I overall feel and eat.
- Get enough sleep - oftentimes hunger is caused by sleep depravation.
- Add “spa elements” to the day to relax - candles, flowers, a bubble bath, a pedicure - little ways to pamper ourselves can make such a difference in how we feel, which in turn makes eating right and getting enough exercise much easier
- Doing a Conscious Cleanse a few times throughout the year has helped me make weight maintenance and feeling my best year-round much easier. It’s a great way to take care of little gains and bad habits that may creep back into your life. I didn’t think I would like a “cleanse,” but the Conscious Cleanse is a food-based cleanse that can be adjusted to any eating plan. Also, it goes far beyond food and helps you take care of yourself in all aspects of your life. If you would like to experience a group Conscious Cleanse with lots of built-in support (private FB group, daily emails, six live tele seminars (which are recorded), as well as email support), click here for more information about the November Conscious Cleanse. Registration closes on October 27.
Questions: What strategies do you use to keep little weight gains from turning into bigger gains?