However, when I went to get the chickpeas, I realized that I didn’t have any canned chickpeas. I did however have canned organic black beans. And some organic canned tomatoes. Since I didn’t measure anything, I can’t give you amounts for the spices. I would suggest you start with a little and add more to taste.
Spicy Black Beans
- Olive oil
- 1 red onion, diced
- 3 garlic gloves, minced
- Red curry powder, start with 1 Tsp
- Turmeric, start with 1/2 Tsp
- Cardamom, start with 1/4 Tsp
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 can black beans
- Ketchup, 1-2 Tbs
- Heat oil in a medium pot. When hot, add the onions and sauté for a minute. Then add the garlic.
- Next, add the curry powder, turmeric, and cardamom and let the onions, garlic and spices brown a bit.
- After a few minutes, add the black beans. Coat the black beans with the onion/spice mixture and let cook for a minute.
- Add the diced tomatoes, ketchup, salt and pepper. Taste the dish and add more curry powder, turmeric, cardamon, salt, and pepper if needed.
- Let the mixture simmer for 5 – 10 minutes.
This dish would be great with tortillas, as a vegetarian burrito filling, or with corn chips as a dip.
I ate the beans with leftover baby asparagus and sautéed onions, mushrooms, and bok choy.
Questions: What’s your favorite “fast food?” What was the last unplanned meal you cooked?