We had some fun on Friday afternoon carving (and decorating - me, I was too lazy to carve) very non-impressive pumpkins. But it was fun, and that’s all that matters. Andy actually commented that our pumpkins looked like they were carved and decorated by 3-year-olds. Well, you wouldn’t give 3-year-olds a knife (even a pumpkin carving one), would you? And I think my felt decorations are “interesting”…
We made spiced pumpkin seeds that were delicious.
Spiced Pumpkin Seeds
- Seeds from two medium sized pumpkins, cleaned (it’s okay to have just a little pumpkin flesh on it; it adds flavor)
- 1 - 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Cayenne pepper
- A dash of cinnamon sugar
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Season seeds with olive oil, salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, & a dash of cinnamon sugar.
- Bake for 30 - 40 minutes (taste at 30 and see if you are satisfied with the crunchiness).
This would also work with other squash seeds - such as delicata squash, but you’ll have to adjust (reduce) the baking time. Just check after 20 minutes to see if they are done. I remember roasting delicata squash seeds a few years ago, and they were delicious!
We didn’t have any trick-or-treaters until about 6:45, and we had gotten worried that we would be stuck with a lot of candy! Fortunately, once kids started coming, we had a steady stream, and the kid really enjoyed handing out candy. It was his first time handing out candy for the entire evening as we had always been going trick or treating ourselves in the past.
Here is what’s on our menu this week:
Meal 2: Minestrone.
Meal 3: Broccoli/carrot/kale slaw with walnuts. - I’ll be experimenting…
Meal 4: Roasted veggies & grilled salmon.
Questions: What was the highlight of your weekend? What’s on your menu this week?