We had the chocolate fountain running in the afternoon, and I was looking for an easy dinner that I could make ahead of time. Chili seemed perfect. I made it the day before and reheated it the day of the event. The flavors came together nicely, and it made entertaining stress free.
Easy Chili con Carne
About 12 - 15 servings
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 3 garlic gloves, minced
- 2 green bell peppers, sliced
- Chili powder, start with about 2 teaspoons
- Smoked paprika, start with 2 teaspoons
- Cayenne pepper, start with 1 teaspoon
- Cumin, start with 1/4 teaspoon
- Cinnamon, a dash
- Oregano, dried, 1 teaspoon
- 3 pounds ground beef
- 1 28 ounce can whole tomatoes
- 1 14 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 2 – 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 10 – 15 drops Tabasco
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cans kidney beans, rinsed
- 1 can black beans, rinsed
- beef or veggie broth to thin the chili out a bit, if needed
- Heat the oil in a large pot and add the onions to the hot oil.
- Add the bell peppers and the garlic and cook for a few minutes.
- Add the chili powder, paprika, Cayenne pepper, and cumin and cook for about 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the ground beef and cook until it is cooked through.
- Add the oregano, tomatoes, ketchup, Tabasco, salt, and pepper, and simmer for about an hour.
- Add the kidney and black beans and cook for another 30 minutes.
- If the chili is too thick, thin it out with some beef or veggie broth.
- Taste the chili and add more seasonings to taste. I added quite a bit more of everything, and it ended up having a nice kick. I like the combination of spices that have been cooked for a long time and the “fresher” ones added toward the end of the cooking time. If you add more seasonings, cook another 10 - 15 minutes.
- Serve with sour cream, shredded cheese, and diced onions. Some of our guests enjoyed some bread with their chili.
Questions: What is your favorite dish to entertain a crowd with? What was the highlight of your weekend? If you celebrate, did you have a nice Easter?