- Start each day with 32 ounces of warm lemon water. I squeeze the juice of one lemon into the water. If you like your water less “lemony,” you can use the juice of half a lemon. I feel so much better when I start the day with lots of water.
- Have a green smoothie for breakfast most days. Here is my favorite smoothie combo: 1 small banana (or 1/2) banana, lots and lots of spinach (I really pack my big blender full with it), 2 Tbs hemp seeds, 1.5 cups water, a little stevia (optional), some frozen mango, strawberries, and peaches (I buy an organic mix at Costco). While this is my favorite combo, I make sure to rotate my greens on a regular basis. Other greens I often use are Swiss chard, beet greens, and kale.
- Make veggies the main part of every meal. This starts at breakfast with lots of greens. For all the other meals, I fill up my plate with veggies and add some protein or grains as “garnish.” In addition to salads and raw veggies, veggie soups, veggie stews, and veggie casseroles are great ways to eat lots of veggies in the fall. Great dips for raw veggies are homemade hummus, guacamole, and salsa.
- Cut out added sugar. This includes condiments, such as organic ketchup. I always have to work on this one. A great sweet treat is one date.
- Limit (or eliminate) processed foods as much as possible. The more I plan, the better I am at this.