I often add beans or lentils to my soups and stews for extra protein. I prefer to cook my own beans and lentils, but when time is scarce, I use canned beans. (I’m sure some planning on my part would actually help, and I think I’ll try to cook my beans and lentils on Saturday morning from now on.) When using canned beans, I make sure to rinse the beans very well, as they often contain quite a bit of salt.
Veggie Chickpea Stew
- Olive oil
- 2 small onions, diced
- 5 celery stalks, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 carrots, sliced
- 2 paprika sliced
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed very well.
- 1 large can diced tomatoes in tomato juice
- Veggie stock (1 –2 cups, or more, depending on how “liquidy” you like your stew)
- Juice of 2 lemons
- Spray a large pot with some olive oil. Once the oil is hot, add the onions, celery, carrots, and paprika. Sautee for about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and sauté a few more minutes.
- Add the chickpeas, tomatoes, and veggie stock and cook for about 20 minutes, until the veggies are slightly soft.
- Season the stew with salt, pepper, dill, and the juice of two lemons.
Questions: What’s your favorite go-to meal? What’s your favorite dish with beans? Feel free to link in the comments! I may do a “bean recipe round-up” post if there are enough links.